Monday, February 16, 2015

Lately...

Hello, imaginary readers!

IT. IS. SO. COLD.

Today has got to be the coldest day so far this winter. Currently 6 degrees out but feels like -10 out. BRAIN CANNOT COMPREHEND!!!

So on official news, I'm OFFICIALLY on a shopping moratorium (why am I always on one?!).

It was supposed to begin on February 1st.

Of course, due to the extreme cold here in NYC, I freaked out on February 6th, went on J. Crew's website and ordered 2 sweaters (love them!) and a pair of wool work pants I had been eyeing (Minnie pant in bi-stretch wool). I already owned the olive and got the black to be practical).

Image source: Lyst

For these pants, I recommend sizing UP one size for looser fit (my usual size was too tight on my butt). Then, I wear a pair of tights/leggings under it for extra warmth.

Speaking of leggings under pants - These have been LIFE CHANGING!

FLEECE-LINED LEGGINGS.

I don't know how I went through 5 winters in NYC previously without them. I just got a regular ol' pair on sale at Lord and Taylor (one size fits all).

(YIKES, this is my 6th winter in NYC?! It can't be... but it is...)

Last weekend, while in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, frolicking with friends on a "warm" (mid-30 degree temps!) weekend - my best friend and I stopped in Beacon's Closet - only the BEST thrift store I've EVER been to. They have the most curated selection with the best pricing. I have NEVER walked out of there empty handed, and on this Saturday evening (7:30 PM, after a day of day-drinking at Brooklyn Bowl), it was no exception.

I walked out with my first Rebecca Taylor piece - a long blue cardigan ("I can wear it to work!") new with tags, an '80s sweater that I'm swearing I can pull off (he he he), a Theory silk blouse good for work, and a J. Crew standard blue striped button down. ... Love it! But broke my moratorium.

As far as other pursuits...

After years of over-cooking my soft boiled eggs and being upset about it, I finally decided to just look it up online - and I'm glad I did! This was immensely helpful. Turn off the heat after boiling, cover with lid for 4 minutes yields the perfect still soft-yolk egg! Hooray!

Image source: The Kitchn

I've also been on a KICK making these - healthy banana chocolate chip muffins!! They are DELISH! The first round, I used too much banana, so they were a bit mushy (which were good) - but second time around, they're perfectly chewy.

Now, if I could only get Nick to eat them...


I just used regular oats (since I had them, and I'm not a gluten free eater) and regular chocolate chips (again, Dairy is my middle name, can't be doing dairy free). I used almond butter like the recipe called for.

For Valentine's Day on Saturday, I made this recipe: CROCKPOT BRAISED BEEF RAGU WITH POLENTA - Huge success, probably one of the best things I've EVER made.

Image source: Me

Today's a DAY OFF so I think I will try to be productive... I'm off!

xoxo
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment